COOK COUNTY OFFERS HEAT SAFETY TIPS AND COOLING CENTER INFORMATION
When temperatures in Cook County are expected to rise to unsafe levels, the County's Department of Emergency Management and Regional Security provides an updated list of cooling centers for residents who do not have access to air conditioning.
During hot weather, residents are reminded to:
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Try to stay in the shade or indoors as much as possible.
- If working outside, take frequent breaks, preferably in an air-conditioned space.
- Check on elderly neighbors and those with functional needs.
- Take pets indoors and make sure they have plenty of water.
- Never leave children or pets unattended in a vehicle.
Residents who need to seek shelter at a cooling center should contact the center first to verify availability and hours of operation.
Cooling centers within the City of Chicago can be found on the city's website.